Wednesday 29 June 2011

Write On Wednesday

Its that time of the week again! Linking up with Ink Paper Pen for another...
 

Write On Wednesdays Exercise 4: Two Fat Ladies (88!):  I am sticking with the timed theme. It is much easier to find a spare 5 minutes than a big chunk of time to write.  Grab the 8th book from your bookshelf. Open it to page 8. Scroll down to the 8th sentence. Write this sentence at the top of your page. Set your timer for 5 minutes and write the first words that come into your head after your writing prompt.  Stop when the buzzer rings! Do this exercise over and over if you wish. It will be interesting to see where all our different prompts take us.
 
Ok. Here goes :)
 
...the heart is made fonder by absence.
 
or some other rubbish, her mother would have her believe. There is no good reason we should be apart, she stewed, no reason at all.
"17 is perfectly old enough to fall in love, Bethany. I am a women now and Robert sees me as such!"
Bethany sighed as she looked at her sister's pouting face, "look Rose, she spoke softly, if it is ment to be it will be, you have to have faith." Ugh! cried Rose, "You sound just like mother!"
 
Roberts face appeared at the door all of a sudden, he looked nervous. "Rose?"
"Yes, Robert?" "They wont budge. I will have to go." Roses face fell. Roberts father an astute business man had been posted abroard for a year. He was taking Robert with him, to learn the family trade. Robert didnt want to go.
 
"But Rose, wont you come with me a minute? Rose took Roberts outstretched hand and he led her out of the door and down into the garden. Rose, I have somehting for you said Robert in a slightly shakey voice. "What is it ?" asked Rose, Robert reached into his jacket and pulled out a small box, Rose took a deep breath as Robert got to his knee and asked her for her hand in marriage.
 
Yes! YES! shouted Rose and twirled around in delight. Robert took her hand and they ran back into the house. Mother! Bethany!! It IS ment to be she shouted still caught up in the moment. Her mother arrived down the stair case in time to see Roberts face blush with nerves, "He has asked me to be his wife!" exclaimed Rose, "when he returns from America we will marry!" Rose's mother sighed, her daughter had always had a mind of her own. Very well darling, and she took Roberts hand firmly for a moment, and with a slight smile she looked at him and said "you take care of my first born....
 
 
And there's the 8 Minutes up already! Its amazing how much more you can write in 8 minutes than the 5 we had in last weeks excersise. This was fun, thanks Gill!
If you want to join in Write On Wednesday too then just pop over to Gill's blog Ink Paper Pen and linky yourself up!
 

10 comments:

Kim H said...

Wow,Suzi! All that in 5 minutes? That's a whole story scene! Such fun, isn't it? Hope to read some more of your writing next week.

Naomi said...

I really need to practice my fast typing skills! What a great scene you have created. I really love your first line, it really grabbed my attention.

Lene said...

A gorgeous scene and such a lot going on here! You are one super-fast typer!

MultipleMum said...

Ah! A teenage love story! You captured the righteousness of Rose beautifully. I wish Rose and Robert luck x

Anonymous said...

I'm a sucker for a good romance!
The only thing I would say (if you have time) is add a bit more punctuation. I know it's easier to get it all down quickly without it, but good punctuation delivers your story to your reader in tact. I had to re-read a few bits, and it lost its flow a little.
But otherwise, a fun, whirlwind post. :)

Gemma @ My Big Nutshell said...

Thank GOD Robert pulled out the ring at that point. I was worried that they would not be together!

Car said...

Love a good romance! Well done on getting sentence structure in the limited time frame! I struggle to get my mind working fast enough for these short pieces!

Susan Whelan said...

I agree with Naomi. I loved the first sentence and it really set the tone for Rose's character, I think.

Well done to get so much detail out in such a short time.

Suzi - Under The Windmills said...

Kim H - I am really enjoying this too, I was a bit nervous about this weeks but it flowed easily in the end!

Naomi - My typing is pretty quick ( too much time spent in chat rooms trying to keep up ;) I have alot in my head and need to get it out before I forget or get distracted, unfortunatly it affects the quality of my writing, particularly in cases like this where I can't go back and edit it!

Lene - Thank you :)

Multiple Mum - lol thanks, they have their whole lives ahead of them...

Rythem Method - Thanks, yep I totally agree, punctuation is an area I want to work on, I left school kind of young and my English skills are an area I really look forward to improving!

Gemma - LOL I know! I only had 2 minutes left and I needed a happy ending!

Car - It's hard isn't it! My mind kind of goes 'bluh' and dumps out - time to edit would be good!

Susan - Ahh teenagers ;) I wrote that sentence in the first few seconds and the phone rang and I had to pause - a shame because I feel I lost my rhythm a bit.

InkPaperPen said...

You got a whole story out in one exercise! Great job. I felt an old fashioned theme in this piece - did you mean it that way? Very popular at the moment with all the craze about Downton Abbey! Thank goodness Robert proposed - but what will happen next. Does absence make the heart grow fonder???? xo