Tuesday 14 June 2011

WANNA FIGHT?

Lately, tiny town has been experiencing some unrest amongst the villagers, People are grabbing their torches and pitchforks and choosing sides.  Two well known local families are feuding and whilst the area has a population of roughly 800 people, only about 100 actually seem to live here full time so as you can imagine, in such a small close knit community this division is causing a few problems.
The local school has been badly affected with children fighting their parent’s battles at recess and as a result a couple of kids have even been removed and we very nearly lost the P&C, luckily some new and neutral parties stepped in and took over the committee roles (say hi to the new P&C secretary of tiny town) .
 The soccer teams have been thrown in the middle with the coaches no longer on speaking terms and some of the older children making life hell for others. Half the town are even boycotting the local pub! Now for a tiny Australian town, that is REALLY serious.
I am keeping out of all this, staying Switzerland. I HATE confrontation and being the new kid in town, I am lucky to be in a position where I don’t have many friends yet can remain fairly neutral and I hope that it all blows over soon, I mean, how long can it go on for? Oh will somebody  PLEASE think of the children?
Alas, it’s been approximately 6 weeks already with no signs of backing down or apologies from the parties involved, just more accusations flying back and forth and more childish behaviour. I guess adults are just kids who have had a few more birthdays.
I wonder how many people out there have been involved with town or even family feuds? It seems that half the people I know don’t talk to some of their siblings anymore. I hadn’t been with my husband long when a feud with some of his side of the family ended their fairly close relationship for over 7 years, we are all talking now, but I don’t think it will ever be quite the same again, that kind of hurt runs pretty deep.
Have you been stuck in the middle of a feud? Could you get away without choosing sides? Are you involved in a family split at the moment? Do you think it could ever go back to the way it was?

2 comments:

Daisy, Roo and Two said...

Ugh. That must be so draining and frustrating, being Switzerland amongst all of that!

My mother is one for "feuds" and I learnt early on not to get involved else the consequences bite me on the backside.

Now I just try to steer clear of any clear lines, stay Switzerland unless I really feel it is an important issues, and above all else, try to be calm (I'm a red-head, so that takes effort!).

I really hope these people come to some kind of resolution soon!

Eden Riley said...

I like that you are Switzerland ... so you control all the bank accounts too?

Hope it clears up soon ... though, it sounds like the perfect plot for a film.