Monday 19 March 2012

Isolated

I have said it before and I will say it again, I love living in the country - I love the smell of fresh air, the quietness of the darkest nights and the amazing wildlife.

But it's not always sunshine and lollypops though, there are some down sides too, for example when it rains for weeks, this is the causeway that separates us from the rest of the world:


The water level has come down now but unfortunately the day my husband decided he would be able to make it through it was higher than the picture. The result of that little decision has left me car-less and isolated as he needs to borrow mine to get to work.

If I lived in town then that would be annoying but livable, but when you live 1.5 km from the bus stop, 10km from the village and 40km from the nearest country town with a Woolworth's then its a real pain in the proverbial.

Its also a pain that the local mechanic is yet to call us back on if we should be calling the insurance company or not, in his defence he only has two staff and is suddenly burdened with 28 cars to look at that all made the same mistake that my husband did!

But after swearing about leaving my umbrella in the car that my husband has taken to work today  I was once again grateful that I lived in the country as a neighbour saw me trudging down the road this morning in the pouring rain with four children in tow and kindly gave us a lift to the bus stop and brought me back up.

Its that kindness I love, the always helpful attitude of country folk that you just don't get in the city!

And the sunsets are to die for...


2 comments:

Leanne @ Deep Fried Fruit said...

Sometimes you get that love in the city. I would have picked you up for sure ...
Awesome sunsets!
Hope you are mobile again soon :P

Kim @frogpondsrock said...

I totally understand the isolation.I live in the country as well, though our small town only has a post office, a club and a servo. I live up a thumping great hill six kilometres from the highway, If I miss my run up at the bottom of the hill it is a second gear hill. I have walked down the hill, plenty of times when I was a young Mum but I only ever walked up it once.And nowadays I think the walk down the hill would bugger me.

WE have had an influx of tree changers and so the dynamic here has changed. The newcomers roar down the gravel roads in their shiny four wheel drives and don't even wave.